Planning for the Future of the Greenway
Page Valley News Photo
The Town of Luray and the Hawksbill Greenway Foundation are working together to plan for the future expansion of the Hawksbill Greenway
No plans have been developed yet, but we are in beginning phase of expanding north to Yager’s Springs.
Here is a summary of what has been accomplished thus far.
Greenway Expansion Proposal
Redwell / Isabella Furnace Yager Spring Historic Park and Trail
February and March Meeting(s)
• At the conclusion of our 1/10/2022 presentation,Mayor Dofflemyer and the Luray Town Councilinvited the Greenway Foundation Board to attend the 2/22/2022 Town Council Work Session.
• The Board prepared a presentation packet for each member of Town Council and discussed the following:
Greenway Next Phase Expedition
➢ Redwell/Isabella Furnace Yager Spring Historic Park, Rod shared photos, renderings, and historical info
➢ Trail from the north Greenway Green Loop to park site, Bill reviewed 2 possible trail maps
➢ Potential Funding Sources, Margaret and Ken reviewed a list of possible grant sources for the expansion
➢ Action Plan, Gladys and Jim reviewed the action plan that outlines the steps from conception tocompletion
➢ Next Step, Rod will conduct a historical tour of the proposed park with Council & Foundation Members
➢ Next, Tour Hopewell Furnace National Historical Park in PA a sister furnace to Redwell in May or June
➢ Feasibility Study, Requested approval to begin feasibility study concurrent with Redwell & Hopewell Tour
• Town Council enthusiastically engaged with the presenters and expressed great interest in pursuing the Greenway Trail Expansion and the Redwell Historic Park.
• Town Manager, Steve Burke, invited Greenway Foundation Board representatives to meet in the Town Office to discuss possible next steps.
• Mayor Dofflemyer, Town Manager Steve Burke, and Assistant Town Manager Brian Chrisman met with Greenway Board Representatives to discuss the expansion and reviewed a draft cost estimate.
• The Town Office requested the Greenway Board Members to meet with Racey Engineering to discuss a Feasibility Study for the proposed expansion project.
• Greenway Board Members met with Pat Racey of Racey Engineering to discuss the Feasibility Study.
• An overview of the study was discussed and a preliminary plan established for the study.
• The next meeting will be 3/31/2022 to discuss the details of the Feasibility Study and to create a timeline for the study.
• The Greenway Board is researching grant sources to fund the study.
Photos and renderings are courtesy of Shenandoah Heritage Village at Luray Caverns.
See Page Valley News Article Here.